The New Zrínyi fortress

Siege-map of Zrínyivár
In 1661 a newly constructed fortification on the left side of the river Mura, built by the poet and military general Miklós Zrínyi. It was named after Zrínyi himself and primarily served the function of protecting the lands of the Muraköz (territory embraced by the river Mura). The castle was built without a monarchical licence in the neighbourhood of the Turkish vilayet centre Kanizsa, which resulted in a serious foreign-political conflict between the Habsburg Emperor and the Turkish sultan. After several passionate protests by the Turks, the castle was occupied and demolished by Köprülü Ahmed Grand Vizier on June 30th 1664 following Zrínyi's famous winter military campaign.